Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Way To Enameling

I love buttons! They are such an ancient work of art.

I have been a professional seamstress for over 30 years. Many of my customers provide the most wonderful vintage buttons for the clothing items I make for them.

Realizing that my own button box was rather sparse, I started looking on eBay and found many treasures there. I spent a lot on bolstering my button collection!

I soon discovered that what I really wanted to do was to make my own buttons. I bought some odd cabochons, like the dinosaur bone, at an old rock shop in Southern Utah and some silver. I found a jewelry teacher to teach me basic soldering and bezel making. .




Dinosaur Bone Button


I thought that the first buttons came out very nice, for a beginning jeweler. I was pleased, but they took a very long time to make; 5 hours or more makes them hard to market.

One day my husband found a small enameling kiln on craigslist and asked me if I wanted it.




Paragon Kiln 8x8x4”

Sure! But what could I do with it? I started researching contemporary enameling artists online and found the most beautiful work I had ever seen. I was hooked immediately.

I spent another small fortune (for me) buying enameling supplies, tools and lots of books.
My first piece was a button!



My First Enamel Button


And then another and another.
Instead of 5 hours, I am now making them in a fraction of that time. Almost instant gratification! If I don't like a result, I can enamel over, or grind part of it off, and the layers make it much more interesting.

I still pay the bills by custom sewing, but my heart is in the kiln. By offering my art on ETSY, I might be able to keep up with the cost of supplies, and eventually be able to work more in fine silver and gold.

No comments: